“Since I was a child, I have always loved making shoes!” So why would Daniel Essa do anything else to succeed in France? The young fashion designer who has been living as a refugee in Roubaix since 2014 left his workshop and his family in Syria, but not his talent and his will to start a business. His luxury sneakers brand created in France has been met with a great success! Did his designs seduce American actresses because they mix “comfort and style”? For sure, but it is also probably because they are hiding secret messages, like “liberté” (freedom) or “bisous” (kisses) written in French under the shoes’ tongues… Daniel Essa is convinced that his success won’t stay an isolated example and that other success-stories are awaiting other refugees, whether they are coming from Syria or other countries. What way will they choose? Time will tell!
To go further
- “Son” and “ses” are possessive pronouns. If you want to exercise using them, this is for you!
- You want to buy clothes in a shop in France but you are scared you won’t understand what the sellers will ask you? Train your oral comprehension with this exercise!
- You are looking to improve your vocabulary and to learn some expressions related to shoes? Here is a quiz!
Discovering more about the subject
- If you want to learn more about Daniel Essa’s career path, read this
- You want to start your business in France? The SamSam guide (the foreigner’s practical guide to France) tells you more about it!